Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Photography Independent Study

Darnell Bates B&W minimalist, Landscape Photographer for DB8S Photography,  Long Beach, CA 2011. (DB8S Photo/Darnell Bates)
My attempt at understanding the zone system


This semester I have decided to back up and really focusing hard on the technical side of my photography. As a landscape photographer (with a preference for B&W film and major interest in Night/Low Light Photography) I am finding that in order to gain this knowledge, I needed to take the time and learn that in which I am not learning via my standard instructions at LBCC and teach myself.

My Goals: 

  • Learn the Zone System and Hyperfocal Distance
  • Looooong Exposure
  • Study the Romantic Period and Minimalism
  • Study the Olde Master 
    • Ansel Adam
    • Eadweard Muybridge
    • Carleton E. Watkins
    • William Henry Jackson
    • Dorothea Lange
Tools
  • "Ansel Adams and the Photographers of the American West" by Eva Weber (read)
  • "The Land Through A Lens" Highlights from the Smithsonian American Art Museum (read)
  • "Night Photography" by Lance Keimig (read)
  • "Night and Low Light Photography" by Jill Waterman (read)
  • Many hours of Podcast (faves Photography.ca and Harvard Extension School's Computer Science)
  • Many hours of viewing actual and digital images (museums and on-line)
  • Images captured via 35mm & 120 Holga
  • ND Filters
Starting Monday (Feb 7) I will begin to process more film and see if the studies have progressed my work.

  • I learned that "The Print" is EVERYTHING 
  • You are only as good as your series.